Sunday 23 November 2008

ELVIS PRESLEY



This is a large charcoal portrait of Elvis which I did a couple of years ago. It's quite an involved drawing in which I tried to keep the marks loose where I could. With charcoal, I know that some people would suggest blending drawings like this with fingers but I'd rather cut mine off than do that. I find a soft brush better for blending; a tool from a more civilised age. If, when I was at college, I saw finger blending I used to have to leave the studio to be violently ill outside as I tried to get them ugly smudges out of my head.

I don't get to use of my easel nearly as much as I'd like to so when I do a drawing like this I try and make it last for days and this took about three.

More drawings of Elvis can be found in the portfolio section of my website.

No comments: